If you would like to help raise awareness about the palm oil crisis and raise funds for orangutan centres, take a look at the ideas and suggestions below.
We must work together to give the orangutan a voice!
If you're young and wanting to make a difference for species like the orangutan and their rainforest homes, there is plenty to get involved in! Youth power is one of the best ways to raise awareness about the plight of the orangutan due to deforestation in Borneo and Sumatra.
A great thing you can do is to get in contact with orangutan activists and conservations to broaden your horizon and be opened up to a world of opportunities.
You can contact one of the fantastic organisations above, and find out how you can help by volunteering at fundraisers. Sign up with some of the groups and you will receive regular emails on up coming events, presentation nights and fundraisers, which are great to get involved in! Another way you can get a constant update of currently events and fundraisers is to join and follow the organisation's Facebook group/page, Twitter etc.
Or you could get your school or workplace involved with a fundraiser (such as a sausage sizzle) and donate the profits to one of the organisations. Maybe even make some pamphlets about the palm oil crisis containing a list of products that contain palm oil and hand them out to the public.
Here is a list of fantastic, recommended books, films and TV series to do with orangutans and/or deforestation in SE Asia:
* Orangutans and their Battle for Survival - By Leif Cocks
* The Intimate Ape - By Shawn Thompson
* Orangutan Odyssey - By Birute Galdikas
* Great Ape Odyssey - By Birute Galdikas
* Reflections of Eden - By Birute Galdikas
* Orangutans- Wizards of the rainforest - By Anne Russon
* Among Orangutans - By Carel Van schaik
* Orangutans - By Junaidi Payne & Cede Prudente
* Among the Great Apes - By Paul Raffaele
* The Burning Season
* Born to be Wild 3D
* The Last Trimate
* Green (click here to watch and download 'Green' the film for free)
* Orangutan Diaries
* Orangutan Island
G Magazine Article - October November issue 2011
Volunteer at fundraising events - such as The Orangutan Project stalls